[OSM-talk] xybot

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Fri Apr 10 18:00:29 BST 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 03:37:07PM +0100, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
> >Sure - i just wanted to make the point that landuse=wood is a valid
> >point for dissussion as its either landuse=forest or natural=wood -
> >but landuse=wood is a "illegal" combination of key and value which the
> >original poster either missed or didnt know.
>
> Illegal?? Who's law?

Have you seen the quotes? Law is usage and definition - and not YOUR definition
but definition on bases of common understanding.

I think you agree that its bullshit when i start mapping residentials
as motorway and motorways as residential because i like the fat
blue things more in my neighbourhood.

> Any tag is valid in OSM so if someone wants to use landuse=wood that's their
> entitlement. That doesn't stop someone later adding a landuse=forest or
> changing the original to natural=wood but I wouldn't dream of doing either
> unless I knew exactly what the feature on the ground was.

Its a matter of common understanding - landuse=forrest and natural=wood
are in use and have been defined

landuse=wood mixes those two up ...

You are free to put any tags in the database as long as you dont expect
others to agree ...

And in the above case there are a bunch of people who disagree with
using landuse=wood. And it doesnt even fit the keys definition by
which landuse means PEOPLEs use - Wood is not peoples use by definition
of the value. So landuse cant be used with wood as from whats in the
key and value description in the wiki.

Buts thats just my POV so you are free to tag as you like ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little