[OSM-talk] OSM maps of Denmark for download to Garmin devices

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 29 11:32:18 BST 2009

Lambertus wrote:
> Splitter tries to automatically determine the maximum tile size for a
> specific area but the data in that area is giving Splitter false clues.
> This might be caused by e.g. a combination of many POI's but few roads.

Not to diminish your work on that front, but I find the tilelayout on your site
very strange. Of course it is a work of the splitter, but I would opt for a
manual layout, guided by an initial automated process.

IMHO the strategy that the Mapsource tiles use is much more logical. Take one
big tile, if that has too many nodes, split it in half horizontally, if that has
too many nodes split it in half vertically... repeat until you have a sufficient
small amount of nodes.

Regards,
Maarten