[OSM-talk] OSM maps of Denmark for download to Garmin devices

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 29 13:15:01 BST 2009

Lambertus wrote:
> Maarten Deen wrote:
>> Lambertus wrote:
>>> Splitter tries to automatically determine the maximum tile size for a
>>> specific area but the data in that area is giving Splitter false clues.
>>> This might be caused by e.g. a combination of many POI's but few roads.
>>
>> Not to diminish your work on that front, but I find the tilelayout on your site
>> very strange. Of course it is a work of the splitter, but I would opt for a
>> manual layout, guided by an initial automated process.
>>
> Please forgive me for relying on the automated Splitter layout mechanism
> as I have no intention to manually divide the world into 500 tiles (317
> America + 182 Europe/Asia/Africa/Oceania currently). Optimizing the
> tiles would result in even more, so you'd be talking about e.g 750 tiles.

I'm certainly not complaining about your work. It's the reason why I bought a
Garmin Nüvi and not a TomTom.

> Needless to say: patches welcome ofcourse. The definition files for
> Splitter are:
> - http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/america.list
> - http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/eurasia.list
>
>> IMHO the strategy that the Mapsource tiles use is much more logical. Take one
>> big tile, if that has too many nodes, split it in half horizontally, if that has
>> too many nodes split it in half vertically... repeat until you have a sufficient
>> small amount of nodes.
>>
> This strategy is afaik exactly what Splitter does.

Then it does it in a strange way. I'm sure you've noticed that the edges of the
tiles don't line up by just a few 1/100th of a degree in a lot of places. That
is inconsistent with a strategy of dividing a tile in half if it has too many nodes.
E.g. tiles 63240113 and 63240116. One has a north border of 51.679688, the other
  51.635742. And then two tiles further east, 63240120 has a north border of
52.679688 again.

BTW: have you seen that Mapsource draws the maps as overlapping? I've attached a
screenshot of how Mapsource displays maps 63240105 (yellow), 63240175 (blue,
continuing to the top) and 63240179 (green).
They all overlap eachother. According to their definitions, they should not
overlap, but mapsource apparently disagrees.
Any idea why that is?

Maarten