[OSM-talk] (no subject)

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 03:46:10 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:19 PM, John Smith<delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> If a shop is a member of a larger group of shops belonging
>> to a single
>> chain, the "suburb" or "branch name" should be added in a
>> separate tag
>> (not sure what).
>
> addr:city ?

No, that is "The name of the city as given in postal addresses of the
building/area."

Often a business will make reference to, e.g. "oh, for that you need
to call our <branch name> shop".

In my experience, in Australia, this is usually the name of the suburb
where the branch is located. But not always. See, for example, the
following link, where "Garden City" is the name of a branch located in
the suburb of "Upper Mount Gravatt":
http://www.oxfamshop.org.au/pages/81876

Or have a look at www.jbhifi.com.au - click on "See All Stores" on the
left - they disambiguate multiple branches located in the same suburb,
e.g. "City - Bourke Street" vs. "City - Cameras".

This information is useful, but I think it shouldn't be put in the
name=* tag, rather a separate tag. Maybe either name:branch=* or
branch_name=*.