[OSM-talk] landuse for hotels

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Aug 6 09:17:59 BST 2009

Stephan Plepelits wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 12:54:01PM -0700, Joseph Scanlan wrote:
>> What landuse are we using for hotels?  I'm pretty sure it should be
>> commercial or retail.
> For the area of the hotel:
> amenity=hotel
>
> And for the hotel itself:
> amenity=hotel, building=yes
>
> (For reference see amnenity=university)

The question is what to use for landuse=
Currently there SHOULD be a landuse/natural tag for each area on a map as
using amenity= creates another level of complexity. One may still has to
decide what to use for landuse if the tag itself is missing. I still think
'landuse=natural' with a sub tag of natural= is the correct framework ...

In the UK hotels are a retail activity although a specific classification of
retail, but the landuse=retail fits the current tag structure but the BLPU
classifications are a little more practical than that.
This would give landuse=residential and landuse=commercial with secondary tags
taken from amenity= but logically a residential=xx or commercial=xx is a lot
more practical.

Appendix A of http://www.nlpg.org.uk/documents/DTF7.3v1.pdf has the details,
or http://enquirysolve.co.uk/nlpg/list_county.php?list=blpu_class has a
sortable list. All land in the UK is already classified under this scheme and
from what I've seen, something similar is evolving in Europe?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL