[OSM-talk] [RFC] restriction=school_zone (second email)

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 06:12:52 BST 2009

--- On Fri, 7/8/09, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm ok, fair enough, you've convinced me - although you'd
> probably
> want to use maxspeed:time_limited to indicate that the
> value is not a
> "time", but a full description of a "time-limited"
> restriction.

It's a limit so stating limited is redundant, otherwise you'd use maxspeed:wet_limited maxspeed:hvg_limited

> Ok - if you've made up your mind on that, then fair enough.
> My only
> suggestion, then, would be to replace school_zone_on and
> school_zone_maxspeed with school_zone:on and
> school_zone:maxspeed.

I wasn't disagreeing with using maxspeed:school_zone, this seems to make sense, however school_zones are a special case where what days and times the school zones in that area are in effect would vary by year, so you place the school holiday information in an appropriate administrative boundary, where as the zone in question only needs to store the time.

maxspeed:school_zone=hh:mm-hh:mm[,hh:mm-hh:mm];speed

This explains what the restriction is, school zone, the times it is in effect and the reduced speed all in one line. school zones are a corner case and I don't think you should try to shoe horn them into a general time restriction since they don't operate during school holidays.