[OSM-talk] [RFC] restriction=school_zone (second email)

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 06:04:54 BST 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM, John Smith<delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Thu, 6/8/09, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Without that requirement, it's a one-liner:
>> maxspeed[Tu,Th][12:00-24:00] = 50
>
> You've gone from school zones to general restrictions.

That's right. Sorry if that was unclear. I tried to explain by saying
"perhaps we should tag the effect of the school zone (i.e. a maxspeed
restriction) rather than the school zone itself. Though this
preference is subjective, it would avoid the need for an extra,
redundant tag, making it easier for users (e.g. routers) to parse the
data." (sorry to repeat myself).

> For general time based restrictions you can still do it in one line if you must, without needing to parse variable information in the key section:
>
> maxspeed:time=12:00-23:59;tu,th;50
>
> hh:mm-hh:mm;[dd,dd,dd|dd-dd];speed

Hmm ok, fair enough, you've convinced me - although you'd probably
want to use maxspeed:time_limited to indicate that the value is not a
"time", but a full description of a "time-limited" restriction.

> However I'm primarily concerned with recording information on school zones as I see on signs, not general time restrictions, someone else can do up a proposal for that.

Ok - if you've made up your mind on that, then fair enough. My only
suggestion, then, would be to replace school_zone_on and
school_zone_maxspeed with school_zone:on and school_zone:maxspeed.