[OSM-talk] radioactivity

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 19:31:45 BST 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> anyone got any ideas on tagging potential radioactive sites?
> a search of the wiki produced nothing so far
>

> *thinking*
> radioactivity=yes
> type=depleted_uranium

Hi Liz,

Many scientific labs and hospitals work with radio active materials within
an appropriate legal and enforcement framework. That may include placing of
signs at the perimeter of the premises. In those cases we should tag it.

But people have an irrational fear of radioactivity. We certainly don't want
mappers to draw they own conclusions. For example, if a site is storing
depleted uranium, that does not mean that the public should be worried. The
level of radiation may be so low that it is not harmful to humans.

Regards,
Nic