[OSM-talk] to all potlatch and JOSM users - automatic simplification of geometry

Aun Johnsen (via Webmail) skippern at gimnechiske.org
Sun Aug 9 00:42:33 BST 2009

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 14:42:43 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to point attention to the potlatch-funtion tidy-points (similar
> to JOSM simplify way). I encourage everybody not to use these
> functions (at least not on data someone else entered) as it harms
> severly the data. IMHO OSM is a project about drawing a collaborative
> map, not about computers drawing it. They don't know the world, e.g.
> don't know and can't know, where there is a curve and where the street
> is straight.

But what is a straight line? I have seen different results of straight line
depending on projection and on line calculation. For example, UTM
Straightline, Great Circle and Rhumb Line makes different straight lines,
and they look different on UTM, WGS84, ED50 or other projections. The
computerised organization, does it make a straight UTM straight line or a
straight Rhumb Line? (I guess they do not try Great Circle) And does it
calculate to some certain predefined datum, or the active datum in your
JOSM preferences?

--
Brgds
Aun Johnsen