[OSM-talk] park barrier

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Tue Aug 11 18:09:33 BST 2009

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> I'd therefore use something like foot[backward]=no (or whatever syntax
>> for conditional tagging is your personal favourite) on that footway
>> leading through the turnstile.
>
> does this imply to split the way on the stile? Do you split it on
> either side?

This can be applied to any way as long as that way needs to be used when
passing the stile. The stile should be a node on that way, but whether
it is the first/last node or any node inbetween doesn't matter at all.

> What about splitting it directly on the stile. By this
> you could just tag one snip of the way towards the side you are
> allowed to go as "stile_direction=yes" or something similar, without
> being dependant on the direction of way. Similarly a relation could be
> imagined (like turn_restriction).

This is a special case useful *only* for this situation - which is an
unnecessary burden for implementation of routing applications. It's
preferable to use something that can be used to handle all sorts of
different situations (and therefore needs to be implemented anyway).

You can do something like stile_direction or a relation if you expect it
to be used in rendering, but I'd definitely recommend to also use a tag
like the one I suggested on the way to allow a more generic evaluation
for routing/navigation.

Tobias Knerr