[OSM-talk] Admin boundaries and streets

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Tue Aug 11 21:31:53 BST 2009

> The admin boundary has (IMHO) extra nodes (they don't connect to another
> way nor do they affect the shape of the boundary).  To make things
> worse, I've joined some of these nodes to streets as I worked on the
> streets and land use in the area.
>
> So... now that I have to fix things, I want to improve the map while I
> go.  I want to remove the boundary ways that "echo" Bermuda and add that
> piece of Bermuda to the Enterprise and Paradise relations.  The
> relations already have boundary and admin_level tags.

  These are good questions - while I don't have an answer, I'll make the
observation that admin boundaries falling on streets makes correcting Tiger
data difficult.   There are several areas that derive from the same data,
and the admin boundary falls exactly on a way of a road - including all
nodes. I'm not sure if Potlatch's handy '/' shortcut can select the bottom
way or the bottom node, but this is often necessary to 'grab the way' to
correct or select it.   I couldn't find any easy way to select or grab the
bottom way in JOSM other than to select the bottom node and drag.

 My take is that I don't know where the admin boundary actually is, so I'm
careful not to disturb any boundary data.

  On the other hand, when the boundary colors match the Yahoo aerials, I may
have accidentally drawn a way that connects to an admin boundary (node
placement logically selects ways in close proximity).