[OSM-talk] Proliferation of path vs. footway

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed Aug 12 16:29:02 BST 2009

On 08/12/2009 05:14 AM, Pieren wrote:
> see why we should add "foot=no" now in all cycleways in France. I read
> somewhere that some motorways  in US gives access to bicycles. Does it
> mean that we have to add "bicycle=no" to all other motorways in the
> world ?

No, that would make no sense because most motorway-equivalents around
the world do not allow bicycles.  We have to add bicycle=yes to the
motorways that allow it.

designated means "with a sign" in most cases; however I am sure there
are some places in the world where it's only defined in the local law,
without actually being signed.  Hence the lack of "it needs a sign" in
the wiki for access=designated.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"