[OSM-talk] Announcemen: Multilingual Country-List

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Fri Aug 14 12:34:48 BST 2009

Marc Schütz schrieb:
>>> What is the opinion for translations that are the same in other
>> languages? For
>>> instance: Andorra is Andorra in a lot of languages. Do you add a
>> translation
>>> even though the translation is the same as the original name?
>>>
>>> Maarten
>> No, just mark it as ok. If there's an existing one with an identical
>> name you may also delete the needless translation.
>>
>> I'll add some highlight to those needless translations, soon.
>
> No, please don't!
>
> If you remove them (and I see that you already did that for some countries), there is no way of telling whether the translation is the same as the default name, or is simply missing.

But there is no translation of "Deutschland" to German. So I don't see
how it could be missing :)

My Tool offers the OK-State do make a difference between "not yet
checked" and "checked", that is independent of the existance of a
translation.

I understand your concerns when looking at the country-level, but what
should we do on the city-level? add the name of all cities in all
languages as a translation? Or: what should we do with the languages
that are not covered by wikimedia?

In my eyes name is the tag for the name of this country in it's native
language (just as it is with cities). name:xx is a language *overlay*
for a specific language and for a localized map - nothing more.

Peter