[OSM-talk] Non-designated cycleway vs. designation info missing

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 15 09:14:04 BST 2009

If 'official' means exclusive access then it would rarely be used in England
and Wales except for public footpaths - as pedestrians have legal access on
all other rights of way (other than motorways) in addition to one or more
other classes of user. This is why I find =designated very helpful as, being
a value, it is non-exclusive. Personally, I have never used 'official' but
have nothing against it if someone else finds it useful! Perhaps the wiki at

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Ddesignated

does need a minor tweak or two to see whether the official/designated
overlap can be minimised?

Mike Harris