[OSM-talk] Cyclelane on left/right

Konrad Skeri konrad at skeri.com
Tue Aug 18 16:38:11 BST 2009

tisdagen den 18 augusti 2009 13.45.24 skrev  talk-request at openstreetmap.org:

> >> But don't forget to connect the cycleway to the road wherever it is
> >> possible to change from one to the other.
> >
> > Which it is at literally every single point in space along most Danish
> > cycleways. This seems like a poor plan.
>
> It is indeed a very poor plan. Almost all major streets in danish cities
> have biketracks in each side of the street. In profile, the construction
> looks like this:
>
>     sidewalk
>   -------------
>                \    bikepath
>                  ---------------------
>                                       |    heavy traffic.
>                                        -----------------------------------

By using the proposed segmented_tag relation [1] (I'd prefer it to be just
called segmented) you could use cycleway:left and cycleway:right on the
segment since the relation doesn't rotate if the way is rotated.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Segmented_Tag

I also have an idea of having use for cycleway=track. A cycleway=lane is a
lane - the bicycle area is separated from heavy traffic only by a painted line.
A cycleway=track is still on the same carriageway, but separated from the
heavy traffic by curbstones, height difference, or a small fence etc. (The Danish
example would be a cycleway=track if I understand it.) And finally, on a
highway=cycleway the carriageway for bicycles and heavy traffic is separated.

Konrad