[OSM-talk] Revert a changeset

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Aug 19 09:36:09 BST 2009

On 18 Aug 2009, at 20:08, Teemu Koskinen wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:48:03 +0300, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com
> > wrote:

>>> Do check out this page for guidance and the email address for
>>> requests
>>> to the data working group.
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vandalism
>>>

> I don't think this case was deliberate vandalism, other edits from
> the user seems to be good.

An important distinction. The vandalism page does already make the
distinction but no one is disputing the need to revert such a change-
set.

>>> Note that I have been working on this page today and have added a
>>> section for 'speedy response' in cases where a failure to respond
>>> within hours could lead to highly visible damage to the rendered
>>> maps
>>> or changes in sensitive areas (for example Washington - particularly
>>> sensitive given the support and visibility given to OSM by the
>>> Whitehouse).
>>
>> Note that most incorrect edits spanning more than a few nodes need a
>> speedy response because soon people start making edits on top of the
>> unwanted changeset and reverting it becomes more difficult.
>>

> What we need, as has been previously discussed on the list, is a
> similar mechanism that wikipedia has that will revert an edit
> easily, maybe even from the website ui.

Agreed. It is worth noting that a lot of the anti-vandalism tools and
general data improvement tools for Wikipedia have been developed and
are made available independently from the main project. Undo is core
to the Wikipedia project and I think we need such a button to revert a
change-set in the UI. I would support the inclusion of undo and
rollback into the general toolset, but possibly have the feature only
available to 'established' users, ie ones who have made >x edits over
 >y days. Wikipedia has some functions, such as image upload and edits
to much-vandalised pages, that are limited to 'established' users.
Possibly it is the same concept and definition of being 'established'
that makes one eligible to vote at the AGM.

>> Since I had the setup for this ready, I reverted the changeset
>> 2168210
>> in my changeset
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/2192016
>> but I had to make a couple of edits before uploading it:
>>
>> * xybot had helpfully made an edit on top of some of the nodes
>> removing a spurious tag and causing conflicts.
>> * I did not revert the creation of node 469327157 (a parking) which
>> seems genuine.
>> * Something really strange: node
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/270798013/history is edited
>> two times inside the same changesets and revert.pl didn't deal
>> correctly with this.
>>

> There still seems to be some problem, the way http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/39175980
>  still goes across the Atlantic, but it looks different than before.
>

>>> Personally I think we need a huge effort to be ready for damaging
>>> vandalism and much better tools to spot potential errors in a much
>>> more sophisticated way.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>

> I spotted this with the Geofabriks OSM Inspector, but that's still a
> bit too slow to update, it would be much better if it updated at
> least hourly or even from the minute diffs.
>
> The revert tools should also be made to look what exactly was
> modified in the changeset. Eg. if a node was moved, but tags were
> left untouched, and after that someone else modified only the tags
> but didn't move the node, reverting the first change should only
> move the node back to it's original position and not change the tags
> back as those were changed by someone else.

Agreed - I see no reason why people can't write tools that use the
minutely diffs and monitor for edits by people not on a 'white list',
that are possible block shifts of many nodes, that have text fields
that contain dubious content, that have very long ways, that include
un-tagged ways (santa-trails), name changes for well established
features (ie roads that have been called 'High Street' for 2 years and
suddenly become something else, broken areas etc etc.

Regards,

Peter