[OSM-talk] Business Building Conventions

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Aug 21 09:08:36 BST 2009

On 20/08/2009 22:12, Roy Wallace wrote:
>>> How can a node be of any "landuse" - it's no land, just a 0-dimensional
>>> point..
>> You're reading too much into the word, as so often happens with tags IMO.
>>
>> Very often nodes are used as place-holders for more complete data later.
>> Churches, for example, are often large structures but most are
>> represented by nodes.
>
> But a church is still tagged as a church. This is not the same as
> tagging a business as a "landuse node".

Actually, it's tagged as 'amenity'. The key bit is the value,
'place_of_worship', and likewise the key bit of the landuse is 'retail'.

But again, you're being overly literal about the wording of tags. The
tag name (as opposed to the value) isn't very helpful or useful in many
cases.

And in any case, I think there's something to be said for these large
retail warehouses being marked differently from a shop. I think it is a
perfectly valid way to do it, and as a side effect it gets these large
landmarks on named on the map when simple shops aren't.

I'm just saying that's the way I'm doing it in answer to someone's
question. If you want to do it differently that's your prerogative.

David