[OSM-talk] Business Building Conventions

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Aug 21 15:19:43 BST 2009

> 2009/8/21 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>:
>> And in any case, I think there's something to be said for these large
>> retail warehouses being marked differently from a shop. I think it is a
>> perfectly valid way to do it, and as a side effect it gets these large
>> landmarks on named on the map when simple shops aren't.
>
> if you tag the outline (AREA) instead of a node, you'll get their
> names as well on the (rendered) map as long as they are big enough. I
> think that's the best approach (because you get the visibility
> correlated to the size of the area). I don't see why you have to add a
> node to label them.

Yes I know, and I do that where approrpiate. But the discussion was
about the case when you have a large block of same occupied by a number
of different occupants. So you already have a large landuse=retail (or
building=shop or some such) which may have its own name (Thingummy
Shopping Centre) enclosing these nodes (e.g. Homebase).

Dividing up the area doesn't reflect the reality on the ground (it's one
industrial estate, one strip mall etc). Sometimes you can put buildings
inside the landuse, and that's fine, but sometimes it is all one
building with multiple occupants - and in any case, most of the areas
I'm working in don't have Yahoo images, so I can't get decent individual
building outlines in most cases.

David