[OSM-talk] [RFC] Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 17:15:11 BST 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 16:58:36 +0100, Craig Wallace wrote:

> On 23/08/2009 15:45, David Paleino wrote:

> >> How about adding forward/backward information to each stop sign node
> >> instead? Would depend on way direction, of course, but as the stop nodes
> >> would be placed on single ways rather than intersections, it would be
> >> possible. Is there a reason why you didn't choose this approach?
> >
> > Read my reply to Pieren: how close you put the stop sign to the effective
> > junction is pretty arbitrary, that's why I'm trying to abandon my
> > "established" way of mapping those.
>
> Why not place the stop sign node where the stop line / stop sign is
> physically located?
> Nothing arbitrary about that. You can measure the distance from the stop
> line to the centre of the junction of you want.

You'd still need some kind of relationship for that to be effective (i.e. to
relate the highway=stop to the junction node) -- and AFAICT typical consumer
GPS units aren't that precise.

(btw, that's what I've done until now, taking waypoints where stop signs/lines
physically were)

David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino