[OSM-talk] [RFC] Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 23 17:48:58 BST 2009

On 23/08/2009 17:15, David Paleino wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 16:58:36 +0100, Craig Wallace wrote:
>

>> On 23/08/2009 15:45, David Paleino wrote:
>>
>>> Read my reply to Pieren: how close you put the stop sign to the effective
>>> junction is pretty arbitrary, that's why I'm trying to abandon my
>>> "established" way of mapping those.
>>>
>> Why not place the stop sign node where the stop line / stop sign is
>> physically located?
>> Nothing arbitrary about that. You can measure the distance from the stop
>> line to the centre of the junction of you want.
>>
> You'd still need some kind of relationship for that to be effective (i.e. to
> relate the highway=stop to the junction node) -- and AFAICT typical consumer
> GPS units aren't that precise.

Why is it necessary to relate the highway=stop to the junction node?
Isn't it obvious that if a highway=stop is within a few metres of a
junction, then its part of the same junction. It shouldn't affect
routing software etc anyway.

And it doesn't have to be very precise. Its easy to estimate the width
of a road, and how far away from the road edge the stop line is.

(and on a related note, is there any of mapping advanced stop lines (for
cyclists etc)?)