[OSM-talk] [RFC] Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 23:16:34 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 1:58 AM, David Paleino<d.paleino at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, they must IMHO. The wiki explains the ontology of the tags we're using,
> and the wiki is the main regulamentation for tags. Otherwise we go wild, and
> everyone uses what she likes best.

Yes, but STILL - tags should be self-explanatory. It would make life
easier for everyone (even those that DO read the wiki). People will
make less mistakes if tags are self-explanatory. Self-explanatory tags
are also easier to memorise. I'm not suggesting at all that people
shouldn't read the wiki.

>> E.g. stop=both could be misunderstood to mean "both directions", or "both
>> intersecting ways", etc.
>
> stop=both_sides? Propose something :-)

I already did:

stop=at_last_node
stop=at_first_node
stop=at_first_and_last_node

This is, after all, *exactly* what you're trying to denote.

> If I understood "East-bound" and "West-bound" correctly, you mean:
>
>  http://imagebin.ca/view/bJWJB6.html

Unfortunately I can't access that image :( See mine: http://imagebin.org/60947

So for A, stop=at_last_node. We need to make clear that the green car
doesn't have to stop when it crosses the last node of A. Hence, maybe
something like "The stop sign only applies when the node is approached
from the way that is tagged".