[OSM-talk] [RFC] Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

Joseph Booker joe at neoturbine.net
Tue Aug 25 14:23:50 BST 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:34:52 +0000 (GMT)
John Smith <delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'll ask again, how many stop signs appear after you go through an
> intersection?

I'm a little tired of reading about this, so I'm going to contribute my
two cents:

Almost every intersection I've seen has the stop sign *at* the
intersection.

Here, State law holds that you stop directly *at* a stop sign (usually
there is a white line from one, but there doesn't have to be). This to
me starts the intersection. If you want to micro-map the intersection,
using a square way for the road and mapping all the stop signs and
traffic signals, fine, but I don't think that kind of micro-mapping is
possible at this time.

Not trying to twist the proposals into something they don't cover, just
trying to point out how absurd it is to map the stop signs that define
the start of the intersections.

Furthermore, how would you tag lights like
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/2234314943_bdcd95d800.jpg?v=0 ?
Flashing red lights are the same (legally and for routers) as stop
signs, and I have seen them in the middle of the road (like some traffic
signals are).

Using a relation is flexible enough for this. It is flexible enough to
handle weird cases with multiple modes of transportation. It is
flexible enough to allow one to map the stop sign (with a role=stop or
something), if your locality doesn't have that right at the
intersection. The biggest issue for me is that it is simpler, not only
for routers but for editors.

You gain nothing with the proposals raised compared to relations,
except some avoidance of relations. With relations the tagging is much
simpler, it makes sense intuitively when you come across it in the
data, access and restrictions can be done, it scales much nicer when
you have a large number of roads (okay, don't know how common that is
for stop-sign-controlled intersections), and it is flexible enough to
tag when there isn't a stop sign along the way (like the hanging
flashing red light).

--
Joseph Booker