[OSM-talk] [RFC] Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 25 15:23:46 BST 2009

--- On Tue, 25/8/09, Joseph Booker <joe at neoturbine.net> wrote:

> Almost every intersection I've seen has the stop sign *at*
> the
> intersection.

The intersection is the middle of the two or more ways intersecting, the stop sign is always before the intersection, not at the intersection.

> Here, State law holds that you stop directly *at* a stop
> sign (usually

How many stop signs are in the middle of intersections?

> Not trying to twist the proposals into something they don't
> cover, just
> trying to point out how absurd it is to map the stop signs
> that define
> the start of the intersections.

However in reality they do mark the start of the intersection, not the middle nor the end but the start.

> Furthermore, how would you tag lights like
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/2234314943_bdcd95d800.jpg?v=0
> ?
> Flashing red lights are the same (legally and for routers)
> as stop
> signs, and I have seen them in the middle of the road (like
> some traffic
> signals are).

The same way traffic lights are tagged already.

> intersection. The biggest issue for me is that it is
> simpler, not only
> for routers but for editors.

How can mapping out a node not be simple? It is a lot simpler than mapping out a relation or splitting a way etc etc etc and the only thing that benefits from stop sign information is routing software, editors don't, mappers don't so making it more complicated than it needs to be everyone except routing software coders.