[OSM-talk] New dimension of vandalism

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Wed Aug 26 13:54:08 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 02:39:12PM +0200, "Marc Schütz" wrote:
> But the point is that the users already have voted by the way they
> actually use the highway tag. What dieterdreist did was just change
> the wiki to match the reality, so that it is actually useful as a
> documentation.

The wiki should not only match the reality, it should suggest proper
behaviour to (new) users. Text like

    If a section of road in the US looks like a motorway then it can
    be tagged as a motorway without researching its funding sources or
    driving up and down the road looking for an Interstate sign.

to me suggests lazy tagging.

In The Netherlands there are two types of motorway, "autoweg" (max
speed = 100 km/h, could have same-level crossings) and "snelweg" (max
speed = 120 km/h, no same-level crossings), which are quite difficult
to discern without driving up to the entrance and checking the signs.
However, they are sufficiently different that I think it's worth it to
either tag it as highway=road and let someone else determine the
proper tag or just to make sure what kind of road something is before
it is tagged.

Just my two €0,01

Sybren
--