[OSM-talk] New dimension of vandalism

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Wed Aug 26 17:21:46 BST 2009

> The wiki should not only match the reality, it should suggest proper
> behaviour to (new) users. Text like
>
>     If a section of road in the US looks like a motorway then it can
>     be tagged as a motorway without researching its funding sources or
>     driving up and down the road looking for an Interstate sign.
>
> to me suggests lazy tagging.
No, that's the way OSM works. Knowledge of local users count's more than
signs - at least as far as I understood it.

> In The Netherlands there are two types of motorway, "autoweg" (max
> speed = 100 km/h, could have same-level crossings) and "snelweg" (max
> speed = 120 km/h, no same-level crossings), which are quite difficult
> to discern without driving up to the entrance and checking the signs.
> However, they are sufficiently different that I think it's worth it to
> either tag it as highway=road and let someone else determine the
> proper tag or just to make sure what kind of road something is before
> it is tagged.
In my opinion the value of the highway-tag is determind by the
importance of the road as seen from a local user. If the "autoweg" is
much more important in a place as a "snelweg" nearby, it should be
tagged higher, regardless of any signs. You are free to add a maxspeed
with 100/120 if you want to.

Peter