[OSM-talk] New dimension of vandalism

Lambertus osm at na1400.info
Sat Aug 29 10:07:24 BST 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 09:32:27 +0100, "Mike Harris" wrote:
>> However, after careful vetting, one of us found that law
>> already says what I have suspected - backstreet streets are
>> living streets by definition.
>

> The law may say that in ?Poland? (apologies if I've guessed the wrong
> Slavic language) - but I don't think it does in - for example - England.
> Here, I have hardly ever - if ever - seen a 'living street' - at least as
> understand the wiki definition. I tend to use =residential for the
> backstreets (assuming they have vehicular access). Am I wrong? Am I alone
> in this?

Living streets are quite common in the Netherlands and some other countries
and signposted specifically. They are residential streets where the
maxspeed is very low (at least less then 30km/h). In some laws this is
defined by a hard speedlimit e.g. 15km/h and in some other as a definition
e.g. "walking pace". Additionally there are rules that say that e.g.
pedestrians always have right of way over cars.

This definition seens certainly to be different from a "backstreet". The
tag living_street should not be used for cases where it is "just a small
backstreet in a residential area". There are other tags that could be used
for tagging those, e.g. width.