[OSM-talk] How to tag lanes, not ways, was: Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Aug 30 18:04:44 BST 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:51 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/8/31 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
>
> > And that's part of what's wrong with it.  You still haven't explained how
> > handle stop signs on bi-directional, one lane road.  You haven't
> explained
> > how to handle lane-changes.  You require ways to be split every time the
> > number of lanes changes (though I guess any system with "lanes=*" does
> > that).  You don't explain how to record where lanes can be changed and
> where
> > they can't.  You require adding children to every single bi-directional
> road
> > in the world that merely has a stop sign.
>
> I'm still unsure where you get this idea that I think a way needs to
> be split, just like a relation joins multiple ways, a way joins
> multiple lanes.

What happens when the road goes from four lanes to six?  Should this be
recorded at every intersection which has a turning lane?

> > It is a reason to do it.  But it's a reason to do it right.
>
> How would you do it?

Once there was enough demand for it, I'd probably introduce "lane" as a type
of "way" and use relations to tie together lanes in places where lane
changes are allowed.  But I think we're quite a ways off from needing that.