[OSM-talk] How to tag lanes, not ways, was: Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Aug 30 19:36:53 BST 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Now I know you're being a troll, however if we used lanes instead of
> using ways you could easily tag that intersection you gave as an
> exception rather than the average case that I presented which is a lot
> more common.

Tag it how?  You want to have two completely different ways to tag stop
signs?  What's your solution?  Stop signs are directional, whether they are
lane based or not.

I agree the case you gave is more common, but I don't think the case you
gave is a problem for any of the proposed methods of tagging stop signs.

> So in short the answer is to have lanes, not ways.

That makes no sense.  You want to have lanes instead of ways?

Lanes are ways.