[OSM-talk] Thank you, LWG

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Sun Dec 6 09:47:42 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 09:13:14PM -0700, SteveC wrote:
> > Richard Weait schrieb:
> >> I think the LWG has done a good job on a difficult task.  A task that
> >> we, as a community, asked them to do for us because we couldn't
> >> implement a license change as a group of 20,000 (at the time)
> >> individual mappers.  I'm glad that the LWG looked after our shared
> >> concerns so ably, by consulting with lawyers, the Creative Commons,
> >> the Open Knowledge Foundation and the community at large over the few
> >> years of the license discussion to date.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but for the last two years I can't remember asking for a
> > license change at all.
>
> And there lays the point, we should all do what Ulf asks for.

So we should do the YOU or the OSMF asks us to do?

Ulf is not alone - I havent asked  ... And a lot of people did
not do so too.

Even that i didnt ask for a license change - the new license is much to complex
for my mind - CC-BY-SA hasnt shown any real problems up to now so i see the
whole discussion as an artificial problem.

I started with OSM to get free GeoData and IMHO any restriction
put on the data limits its usefulness. I accepted the Attribution and
the Share alike - now a lot more rules on what i am allowed and what not
come down on me. This is a change in rules of the game while half
way.

AFAIK The only problem which could ever arise from CC-BY-SA is that its void
which would probably (not proven) make data Public Domain which would also be
fine with me.

Flo
Florian Lohoff                                         flo at rfc822.org
"Es ist ein grobes Missverständnis und eine Fehlwahrnehmung, dem Staat
im Internet Zensur- und Überwachungsabsichten zu unterstellen."
- - Bundesminister Dr. Wolfgang Schäuble -- 10. Juli in Berlin