[OSM-talk] Thank you, LWG

Jonas Krückel osm at jonas-krueckel.de
Sun Dec 6 10:01:33 GMT 2009

Am 06.12.2009 um 10:47 schrieb Florian Lohoff:

>>> I'm sorry, but for the last two years I can't remember asking for a
>>> license change at all.
>>
>> And there lays the point, we should all do what Ulf asks for.
>
> So we should do the YOU or the OSMF asks us to do?
>
> Ulf is not alone - I havent asked  ... And a lot of people did
> not do so too.
>
> Even that i didnt ask for a license change - the new license is much to complex
> for my mind - CC-BY-SA hasnt shown any real problems up to now so i see the
> whole discussion as an artificial problem.

I'm not sure if the CC-BY-SA license is really simpler than ODbL. Just look at this website here http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/ and you'll see that the ODbL is as simple as CC-BY-SA. Plus it's now clear how to attribute correct and when your derived work also has to be ShareAlike and when not.

Personally I'm also a PD fan and the only thing I was missing from the LWG was a survey to see if the majority of the OSM contributors wants to keep the attribution and Share alike component in a new license or if they would want completely free data under PD or CC0.

Jonas