[OSM-talk] [Announce] OSMF license change vote has started

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Dec 6 16:12:52 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Anthony wrote:
>
>> Actually, I was planning on doing exactly this with a map of my office on
>> the back of my business card.  I'm not about to start handing out CDs along
>> with my business cards.
>>

> I think you are only required to hand out the database on which your
> rendering is based. And it doesn't even have to be the database at the time;
> you can hand out a current version. And you don't even have to hand it out
> fully, it is enough to hand out a diff to the original data if that is still
> available. So if you took OSM data and didn't change it (which I think is
> likely), then your diff is empty, and all you have to do is point people to
> planet.openstreetmap.org if anyone should ever ask you for the data.

And if I did change it (I plan to - there are some features I want to show
which aren't supported by OSM tags)?  I guess I could get away with hosting
a website which contains the data, and printing the url of that website.
But even that is too much of a pain.

>  The other big problem is that I just don't have the time or money to
>> figure out *exactly* what the ODbL means.  And Open Data Commons is just not
>> anyone I've ever heard of (and Creative Commons, who *is* someone I've heard
>> of, and respect the legal opinion of, has torn apart the ODbL).
>>

> I wouldn't exactly say "torn apart".

I would, and I did.  "The ODbL Fails to Promote Legal Predictability and
Certainty Over Use of Databases"  "The ODbL Is Complex and Difficult for
Non-Lawyers to Understand and Apply"

Now you're saying I should ignore that, and just sign away.

Maybe I would if I thought I could derive some significant benefit from it.
But if the only benefit is that I get the privilege of contributing to OSM,
no thanks.  I'll take my mapping elsewhere.

I haven't decided, but I'll probably even grant y'all the permission to use
my previous contributions without any restrictions whatsoever.  I don't have
a problem with that.  What I have a problem with is agreeing to the ODbL.