[OSM-talk] Opinion poll about the new licence Odbl 1.0

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Dec 8 03:06:54 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:

> We really, really, really, like to keep your and everyone's edits going
> forward. But we have to respect your choice. Under the current regime, you
> are allowing your contributions to be used only under CC BY SA 2.0.  We
> could duck the issue now, but does even the most diehard  CC BY SA 2.0
> supporter expect us to want the same license in 5 years, in 50 years?

What about dual licensing under CC-BY-SA and ODbL?  That way you can keep
the CC-BY-SA contributions.

Of course, it doesn't make much sense, because the whole point of ODbL is
that it's more restrictive than CC-BY-SA.  But it shows that the problem at
least some of us have is not any change, it's this particular change.