[OSM-talk] Question that will not be asked

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 09:29:30 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Rahkonen Jukka > It would be only
confusing to have
> more options like in the opinion poll at
> http://doodle.com/feqszqirqqxi4r7w

The poll contains the three original questions which will be asked to
all contributors if the new license is approved by the OSMF:
- yes
- yes and consider all my data PD
- no
Then I added two more questions for those who would say 'no', for this
part of the public who feels that they have a 'gun on the head'
because they don't agree with the Odbl. Then I added two options to
give them a chance to explain why they would say 'no'.

A general remark about the 'crappy poll'. As I said, it is true that
is is not a reliable poll. But the OSMF never tried to reach the 99%
of the community which is never writing on this talk-list. A more
serious poll can only be organized by the OSMF because they know the
list of contributors, their emails and could manage the single replies
like it will be for the final vote. Of course, it will not avoid the
fact that some contributors will create a special account just to fake
the result , but this will be also true for the real vote.
But the OSMF never tries to reach those who are not reading the
talk-lists or watching the forums. How many times have we seen a call
for a simple question about the new license on the diary or on the
main site page or on the header on all wiki pages ? Never. The
community will have to reply to the simple question just at the end of
the process with the threat that their contributions will be removed
if they refuse and the unfair reply "why did you not participate
earlier in the debats when it was the time for it ?".
So, I would thank the approx. 300 who participated to the 'crappy poll'.

Pieren