[OSM-talk] Question that will not be asked

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Wed Dec 9 11:17:00 GMT 2009

On 09/12/2009, at 7:29 PM, Pieren wrote:
> The poll contains the three original questions which will be asked to
> all contributors if the new license is approved by the OSMF:
> - yes
> - yes and consider all my data PD
> - no
> Then I added two more questions for those who would say 'no', for this
> part of the public who feels that they have a 'gun on the head'
> because they don't agree with the Odbl. Then I added two options to
> give them a chance to explain why they would say 'no'.

Going back to the original point of this thread, that is why it really needs to be a simple Yes or No question.

Once we start having extra options, we need to have a debate about what all the options are and exactly what they mean. For example, that poll has nothing for "I want attribution (which PD/CC0 doesn't cover) but not necessarily share-alike" (like CC-BY) or "ODbL is fine, but I don't like the contributor terms", and I'm sure people can think of other things which fit their exact preference. You also need to sort out what voting system you want to use, and deal with people trying to vote and not being sure what the difference between option 7 and option 13 is.

A simple Yes/No vote is the best option, because people either like what is being present or they don't. It's not the best for getting a feeling of what the community wants, but it's much better for an actual vote on changing.