[OSM-talk] Suggestion: fallback tag

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 14:28:41 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> You only want to tag stuff that renders, so update the render style
> sheet then tag it, if you don't care about it rendering first just tag
> it but your comments are specifically about wanting them to render
> first.
>

>I actually offered him help/resources the other week on the talk-au
>list with regards to style sheets, perhaps I was a little too subtle
>:)

Ok, we're obviously coming from very different mindsets here. I'm trying to
find scalable solutions. When I say "Say I have x problem, it doesn't render
well", I'm not looking for someone to tell me how to edit a stylesheet and
hack mapnik to produce a particular result on my machine.

Instead, I'm presuming that the problem I'm describing is common to many
people. And further, I'm presuming that because they have a problem (which
there isn't a good solution for), *we* have a problem. In this case, I'm
saying that if people have to choose between tagging correctly, or getting
instant gratification in the online renderers. This is a problem. And these
are not solutions:
1) Tag correctly anyway
2) Don't worry about how it looks
3) Hack the stylesheet and render it on your machine
4) File a feature request
5) Fix the renderer myself and post the diff
6) Use a clever combination of tags that solves this particular instance

They're not solutions because they don't scale. They might solve my problem
today, but they don't solve the general problem for people in general.
Whereas having something like a fallback tag *does* scale: once implemented
in a few renderers, it only takes that tiny piece of knowledge (the
existence of the tag) for this problem to be solved again and again, every
time it occurs.

There may be arguments against my proposed solution. There may be better
solutions. It may not be a big problem. But, please, these one-off
workarounds and hacks are not solutions.

Steve