[OSM-talk] Countering Google's propaganda

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 03:50:14 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> That is one aspect of maps, but not the only aspect. The real worth is
> in the data, by hoarding they limit what you can do with the
> information underlying the tiles.

Uh...you're preaching to the choir, dude. Of course they hoard, of course
that limits what you can do with the data - but that doesn't make them evil.

> We all have ideological reasons for preferring OSM, but let's not kid
> ourselves: Google has a great product which they give away for free.

 Erm lets not kid ourselves, they don't give it away, they use it to
> push advertising.

A free magazine with advertising is still free. Free to air TV is still
free. I'm not sure what your point is.

> The only revenue stream Google has been truly
> successful at is pulling in advertising dollars.

Whereas if they made money selling maps, you would forgive them? So much
hate...

>Oh and your comments only apply to individuals, it costs a lot of
>money to license google tech for biz purposes, same can't be said for
>OSM...

Let me rephrase your argument:

1) OSM is better than Google
2) Therefore Google is teh devil.

Like I said, no one around here will disagree with you on 1). But 2) does
not follow. So they have proprietary data, which they sell (or give away
with advertising) for profit. What, you're hating all businesses now?

Remember, the only statement I was taking exception to was the notion that G
provides nothing of value. When clearly millions of people would disagree
with you. Just concede the damn point and we'll get back to arguing other
stupid stuff.

Steve