[OSM-talk] Countering Google's propaganda

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 04:00:26 GMT 2009

2009/12/18 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
> Uh...you're preaching to the choir, dude. Of course they hoard, of course
> that limits what you can do with the data - but that doesn't make them evil.

I never said hoarding was evil, I said it was greedy...

> A free magazine with advertising is still free. Free to air TV is still
> free. I'm not sure what your point is.

You said they gave it away for free, but in the process your privacy
is being eroded, mind you people give their passwords away for pens so
most people probably will never understand or care about the
consequences until it effects them personally in a negative way.

> Whereas if they made money selling maps, you would forgive them? So much
> hate...

That's Liz's dept, I don't hate google for giving away maps, but
please stop using the word "free" it's too ambiguous, there ain't no
such thing as a free lunch when it comes to mega corps...

> 1) OSM is better than Google
> 2) Therefore Google is teh devil.

No, google is evil because of their lack of respect for privacy, you
really need to stop trying to claim I think their evil because they
give map tiles away to individuals.

> Like I said, no one around here will disagree with you on 1). But 2) does
> not follow. So they have proprietary data, which they sell (or give away

You are the one push #2, stop putting words in my mouth, I may have
issues with google but it's not for the reasons you are implying.

> with advertising) for profit. What, you're hating all businesses now?

Again, you are putting words in my mouth, I have no problems with most
of the companies involved with OSM, they all seems to support OSM in
return one way or another.

> Remember, the only statement I was taking exception to was the notion that G
> provides nothing of value. When clearly millions of people would disagree

I didn't say nothing of value, again putting words in my mouth and
taking my comments out of context. I said nothing of real value, map
tiles may have some inherient value but that isn't where the real
value is, it's in the raw data and they most definently don't give
that away for the most part.

> with you. Just concede the damn point and we'll get back to arguing other
> stupid stuff.

Again you are implying stuff I never said, you need to refine your
comments to what has been said not what you think I was implying... My
comment was about them not releasing raw data, map tiles are only of
limited use and is very limiting in terms of what could creatively be
accomplished with real mash ups, not the limited subset google allows
so they can push their advertising.