[OSM-talk] CommonMap, announcement - geodata repository without Share-Alike.

morb.gis at beagle.com.au morb.gis at beagle.com.au
Sat Dec 19 00:14:05 GMT 2009

Hello OpenStreetMappers,

I acknowledge that the OSM leadership is serious about baking in the ShareAlike
requirement into the allowed usage of OSM data.

I also acknowledge that there is a significant proportion of contributors that
are happy for their works to be used more broadly.

If you consider yourself in that category, I invite you to explore the CommonMap
initiative I have just established at http://commonmap.info/ - where I have
placed statements of intent.  I'm also hoping to create a rallying point for
like-minded souls around the world, and move from a "we should do this" to
"let's do it".

The biggest challenge I have at the moment is finding a web hosting company and
securing just-enough cashflow.  If you can link me up with these services then
please contact me privately.

My intent is operate similarly to OSM but to allow an environment for
the broadest legal *usage* of contributed data to occur.  I think there is room
in the open data movement for both initiatives to be of value.  I hope the OSM
leadership concurs.

I trust the osm-talk custodian is comfortable with us exploring the development
of CommonMap using the OSM listserver.  Perhaps a separate list can be
established?

Thanks,
Brendan Morley.