[OSM-talk] Cross-renderer tag support, now with OSMdoc!

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 12:18:25 GMT 2009

Hi all,
  Thanks to Lars' help, my table of cross-renderer tag support now includes
stats from OSMdoc. This is a huge step forward in understanding not only
which tags are recognised by the various renderers and editors, but how much
they're actually used in the database. A count of distinct values for each
tag is also shown.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Stevage/tagsupport

Because of the enormous number of novel keys and values in the db, I've used
the following limitations:
- keys that appear in OSMdoc, but not in any of the other sources (like the
zillions of tags from mass imports like tiger), are not shown
- values that appear in OSMdoc, but not in any of the other sources (like
typos and all sorts of creativities) are not shown.

I intend to relax the second limitation to include very frequent
non-supported tags. I will probably also create a whole second table of
unsupported keys.

After all, knowing which unsupported tags are being used is one of the main
purposes of this exercise.

Anyway, have a look, and as usual, let me know if anything doesn't look
right. Any suggestions for further improvement welcome.

Steve