[OSM-talk] Cross-renderer tag support, now with OSMdoc!

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 03:22:24 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 1:54 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> In a way that probably happens to an extent, the renderers stop
> rendering a tag(s) so people start tagging differently as a result so
> their data continues to render.

But whatever they do, they never "tag for the renderer"...

I think it's time to get a little smarter about all this. Yes, anyone can
create and use any tag. It doesn't mean that's always a good thing. In fact,
these days, most of the time a novel tag is used, it's probably a mistake,
misguided etc etc. We should be moving to stabilise the tag set and
deprecating variations from it.

Once upon a time, when someone tagged an area as "wood=decidious"*, it made
sense that the editor/renderer accepted and ignored it. These days, we have
enough information to pick that up as an error. Using erroneous or
deprecated tags helps *no one*.

Steve
Or decideous, decidous, deciduos, deciferous(!):
http://osmdoc.com/en/tag/wood/