[OSM-talk] Why doesn't OSM implement a simple measure to protect it's users and passwords?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 10:51:04 GMT 2009

2009/12/26 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> Do you now suggest that OSM should encrypt tile access, or do you suggest
> OSM should ignore those people who are "willing to go to such lengths to
> protect their privacy"?

I'm just pointing out what people have done in the past and what they
could do in future, although OSM is a special case in terms of data
since you can download the entire dataset and run your own tile
server, but it's also feasible that some people on the extreme end of
things have come up with firefox plugins that request the real
information in noise to protect themselves.

> I'm finding it increasingly hard to follow your logic.

I'm just pointing out different things, this isn't a follow on from
other emails, this is something different.

> My guess is that these people are unlikely to use OSM in the way you
> describe because they would want to hide the fact that they even know OSM.
> They'd much rather use anonymizing procies.

Even with anonymising proxies it doesn't hide what you requested, just
who requested it, so people came up with plugins for google etc that
request false searches to hide what they are searching for, not just
who is searching for it.