[OSM-talk] Key:smoothness

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 1 11:47:44 GMT 2009

... And by the way ... Does 'good' mean:

Good for a motorcar? (I know of local unclassified ("OS yellow roads") that
cannot be driven except in a 4WD (some appear on my TomTom even).

Good for a horse and cart? (All Restricted Byways in England should be
suitable - but many are not - too narrow or have stiles).

Good for a horse? (How good a show jumper for those stiles - see above?)

Good for a bicycle? (Many bridleways would be fine on a horse and yet
impossible on a bike - even where bikes are allowed)

Good for a walker?  (How fit - what constitutes 'normal' ability? - is a
stile 'good' or only a kissing-gate?)

... In short "good" (or "horrible") is almost entirely subjective (and also
language-dependent) and even using a 1-5 scale is still subjective (is the
mapper thinking like a walker? A cyclist? An off-road quad-biker? A horse?

... I would probably tend to "vote" or "opinionate" against any proposal
using a subjective adjective as the value for a key.

Mike Harris