[OSM-talk] Key:smoothness

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 3 07:47:40 GMT 2009

I'd vote (whoops! - sorry - opinionate (:>)) for that - it has the advantage
of being non-hierarchical and thus deals with the sort of problem I
described (from real life) yesterday, i.e. where the smoothness of a way is
suitable for a bicycle (weaving between big potholes in a paved surface) and
yet not for a car - the opposite of the current (and certainly more usual)
'smoothness' hierarchy where a bicycle is more 'fussy' than a car. It also
deals with my quite common dilemma where - if I follow recommendations for
UK public right-of-way tagging - I might tag a way as a "byway open to all
traffic" or a "restricted byway", on both of which motorised vehicles are
banned in law but all other wheeled vehicles are allowed (including that
famous horse with wheels known as a horse-and-cart (:>)) - and yet the
physical nature of the way is such that even a bicycle would have to
struggle over stiles!

IMHO also think that the key 'suitability' is more self-explanatory to a
newcomer than 'smoothness'. TBH, when I first encountered 'smoothness', I
wasn't sure what was intended until I read the details and realised it was
about the suitability of the way for particular classes of vehicle rather
than a description per se of the surface.

Mike Harris