[OSM-talk] Key:smoothness

Andrew Chadwick (email lists) andrewc-email-lists at piffle.org
Mon Feb 2 16:57:40 GMT 2009

Matthias Julius wrote:

> Suitability sounds a bit more fitting than smoothness.
>
> And one could put the type of vehicle into the value like
> 'suitability=horse:good;mountainbike:bad;racebike:impossible' or
> something like that.

That déjà vu feeling all over again.

Quite like the idea of something like:

  suitable:horse=yes/all/race/pit_pony/miniature/no
  suitable:bicycle=yes/mtb/atb/trekking/road/no
  suitable:motor_vehicle=yes/all/no
  suitable:vehicle=yes/all/no
  suitable:motorcycle=yes/all/trails/touring/offroad/no

All done in terms of the access tags, so it's really

  suitable:<access-mode>=yes/all/<subtype>/no

For <subtype>, enter only the most off-road-friendly model or breed that
could use the way easily.

#My# value of "suitable" here means hassle-free/non-sweat-raising/
non-muddy/safe (for commuting/vehicular modes), and "suitable for a
novice" for sporty modes. Bicycles are for commuting, roller blades are
for sportyness; luckily the interpretations should be roughly the same.

{{{Somebody should add roller blades/skates as an access tag; in some
places they might be restricted in a different way to bicycles and foot
traffic. Although typically the default interpretation is one or the
other (check!), it varies.}}}

--
Andrew Chadwick