[OSM-talk] NZ LINZ data import and attribution

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Feb 3 14:08:32 GMT 2009

Joe Richards wrote:
> I have been doing some mapping in New Zealand recently,
> and came across the page which discusses a potential import
> of all the roads and streets in New Zealand in one fell swoop,
> thanks to Land Information New Zealand/LINZ giving the
> go-ahead for this.

This took about 8 million messages last time it was discussed:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2008-April/thread.html#24878
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2008-March/thread.html#860

Attribution, as you surmise, was the sticking point, and it's remained
stuck. OSM won't agree to overlay "Crown Copyright LINZ" on any map of New
Zealand that it displays, but is probably happy to put it on a credits page
somewhere. Really, I think, someone needs to talk to them - and if you can
get LINZ to agree, then job done.

cheers
Richard