[OSM-talk] Karlsruhe schema and buildings with several house numbers

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Feb 4 07:27:51 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:08:14AM +0100, Frédéric Bonifas wrote:
> As we are now allowed to use the French cadastre to add data to OSM, I
> am mapping buildings in Grenoble (
> http://informationfreeway.org/?lat=45.18877199061041&lon=5.723019237090732&zoom=17&layers=B0000F000F
> )
> But I have a problem : sometimes, the same building has several house numbers :
> * it can be several numbers one the same street
> * a building can also have house numbers in different streets.
>
> Here is an example of a building with the 2 problems :
> http://fredericbonifas.free.fr/building_housenumbers.png
>
> Is there a proper way to tag the house numbers in this case ?

Instead of putting the address on the building, put in extra nodes where
the entrances with the different addresses are and tag them with the
address. You can re-use nodes from the building outline if you want to.
This would work for the example you mentioned above.

If you actually have different addresses *on the same entrance*, it wont
work. I have seen this a few times that maybe there used to be two
buildings, one number 4 and one number 6 and now there is only one and
it is called 4-6. In that case you can tag addr:housenumber=4-6. But
this wouldn't work if you have different street names. In that case you
can probably put two nodes right next to each other. It shouldn't happen
often, anway.

Jochen