[OSM-talk] Maritme borders

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 19:01:12 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:

> Simple rendering without need for the relation has been taken care of
> in the comprehensive proposal by tagging the ways with admin_level. What
> else do you need?

You have taken care of the wrong part of rendering. It is easy to render the
territorial waters border, but difficult not to.

I have checked some widely used online maps (didn't bother to go digging
through my paper maps):
Google Maps: Does not render international maritime borders
Mapquest: Renders baseline/internal waters at high zoom levels, land borders
only at low zoom levels.
Live Maps: Renders only land borders
Yahoo Maps: Renders only land borders and (at low zoom levels) internal
waters border between two countries
Map24.com: Internal waters and land borders?

Basically, it seems that most map makers prefer to treat maritime borders
and land borders differently. I think taggin in OSM should make this well
established practice easy, instead of making it easy to render the
territorial waters and land borders the same.

 - Gustav