[OSM-talk] Maritme borders

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:34:05 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:
> The version where boundary=administrative is used on the water is, at
> least in Europe, already beeing used in many places.

Yes it is. The result is that we now have (almost) the only world map with
territorial waters rendered the same way as land borders.

Can you provide me with an example rendering rule or stylesheet where land
borders are rendered red and territorial water boundary is rendered blue,
using your proposed relation?

> If you object to the relations, we need them for a sane way of finding
> out what is bordering on what.

I, at least, do not object to a relation. But if the relation was all that
was needed, the ways could be untagged. Why do you object to having
boundary=maritime in the relation?

> There is no much need for maritime boundaries only, most people have a
> need for land+maritime boundaries or land boundaries+coastline. Both can
> easily be done with the system described my me. Its harder to check for
> two things if you can check for one.

Most renderers would want to have land borders only (typically a red line or
something like that) and many would have maritime borders only.

And some would like internal waters, instead of coast lines.

> And checking for boundary=* doesn't work as you might get things like
> boundary=nature_park or whether in there.

Checking for boundary=* and admin_level=2 would work.

> > boundary=maritime opens up the possibility for a logical ordering of
> > boundary_type=eez etc. Or, we could extend admin_level to it, but
> EEZ ist something different. I am only talking about administrative
> borders. Thats what decides which ones police is going to arrest you if
> you hit somebody over the head in there. Thats the same on land as it is
> on the sea.

No it is not, exactly. First of all there are legal differences, as both
territorial waters, internal waters and EEZ to some extent define the
country border. It is first and foremost defined by the territorial waters.
Innocent passage is the most important example of something allowed in
territorial waters, but not on land.

How do you suggest that internal waters (baseline), contigous zone and EEZ
should be tagged?

 - Gustav
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/attachments/20090209/ef52d472/attachment.html>

More information about the talk mailing list