[OSM-talk] OSM on The Reg

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Feb 11 12:46:23 GMT 2009

Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> And there is a limit to the extent that we can dumb down the
> interface without compromising usefulness. How would 'add a
> road' work? I cannot even begin to dream of how to code such
> a thing.

Have a look at Google MapMaker. We don't have to dumb down; we can offer
both and give people the choice.

Bear in mind that Potlatch was never originally meant to be an editor
specially for beginners; it was meant to be something for _quick_ editing.
The reasons I first wrote it were that (a) JOSM wouldn't work on my machine
(OS X 10.3, so no Java 1.5), and (b) when I did use ye anciente JOSM, I
thought "what the hell is this create node/create segment/create way shit? I
want something that works like Illustrator". So I don't want to dumb
Potlatch down, either.

cheers
Richard