[OSM-talk] OSM on The Reg

Hurricane McEwen hurricane at cloudmade.com
Wed Feb 11 16:19:40 GMT 2009

I agree with Gert on the fact that 'the concept is good for geeks' but
it IS time to create a user interface for the rest of the world. I
have held a few mapping parties, trying to get more hikers, cyclists,
retired folk who love maps, involved with OSM but with the barrier
that OSM isn't user friendly for these folks.

One small example on Potlatch would be the light grey on white
background-- for most, this gives the look of 'inactive'. Also, the
icons are small and it's not 'obvious' that one must click on the car
icon to change it to a person, to a boat (etc.) to change to type of
feature you are tagging.

Yes! There is the wiki and it is very, very helpful... but also
remember that the average attention span is about 2.2 seconds, and if
it isn't seriously simple, we lose people...

There's more from where this comes... and I'd be happy to pass it on
to the OSM community or to the appropriate person! I would love to be
involved with helping build a great 'user friendly' editor for the
'rest of the world' :)

Hurricane

Hurricane McEwen
Central Mountain Community Ambassador